Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sleep as a Victim of Time Crunch

I actually found a slight disconnect between the title and the content of the paper. The main reason is that they are talking about sleep being a victim of time crunch, yet such term is never defined. They speak of the external pressure of people affecting sleep, yet they don't draw correlations as to what effects the "time-crunch" had on sleep. If I were to keep a diary of my sleeping hours, chances are that my school days average 4-5 hours a day, weekends average 12 hours a day, and if you gave me a whole week off, I'd probably average more than 12 hours a day. Being under "time-crunch" to me would mean that I have assignments, etc. and chances are that I average less hours of sleep.

Another aspect that struck me a bit is that I felt a bit uninformed in terms of data collection. A major cultural factor that could potentially affect the results is the concept of napping, as some cultures value napping as a necessary thing in our every day life. This means 1-2 more hours of sleep per day, and also means that there will be less hours of sleep per night. To my perspective, this would change the number of hours in Brazil and Spain, for example.

Despite how I wanted to see a more correlational study as to what affects sleep, I still found this paper to be quite interesting as to how they put together a lot of data and compare it across gender and nations. I also found it interesting how sleep has gained so much value in terms of how it is regarded as such an important activity. I also do wonder to what extent a healthy sleep pattern would improve people's working hours, again going back to this unexplained concept of time crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment